Miniatures

One of my most favorite hobbies is miniature painting. The reason I enjoy it so much it because of the finished product. I like to paint and then set my models up on my desk. I dust them every now and then to keep them clean. Now you might be wondering how I paint my models, well I’m about to explain.

First of all your going to need a model to paint. My favorite website to order the figures is http://games-workshop.com . Basically there are two major sections. Warhammer, or warhammer40k. Warhammer is more midevilish because there are no guns. It’s all basic swords and other melee weapons, although I’m not sure they have Bowes. Warhammer40k on the other hand is more in the future with space ships and guns, rocket launchers, tanks, and giant robots that smash the brains out of enemies.

The second step is the paint. I use citadel paints bought from the same website because they are made for the type of models I like. If you have a different brand that works for you more go ahead and use those ones. When I paint I use a primer first, what this does is allows the paint to stick to the model. If you are painting a metal model primer is almost required or else the paint won’t stick as well as it could.

The first paints you are going to use are base paints these will create a nice first layer to the model. If the model is going to have lots of different colors use the one that covers most of the model. Spraying is the best technic for base coating. I recommend an airbrush, but a spray can works fine too. I currently do not have an airbrush in my possession at this time, but I am very excited to acquire one soon. If you are painting a very large model then it is a good idea to mask off the places you do not want to paint with masking tape and then paint.

Paint everywhere on the model with base paint, then for the highlights use a layer paint.

After highlighting cover the model in varnish. After varnishing apply a wash. A wash is a very diluted paint. These can be bought from games workshop or made at home by adding water to dark paint until suited for model. Look up videos online to find more information on washes. After applying the wash make your base for the model. Once you’ve done that your done. Yay.
Ultramarines_DSC8806
Creative Commons License Photo Credit: achrntatrps via Compfight
Sorcier_DSC9110

2 comments

• My husband used to love building and painting models when he was your age. Now he re-builds and paints guitars, and the painting process can be very involved but satisfying when he is finished. He uses an airbrush.

Great job organizing your information into steps and elaborating for those of us who have never done this kind of work. Your knowledge and enjoyment of your hobby really come through your writing!

• That’s really cool. I almost have enough money to buy an airbrush. They cost a lot of money, like $80.

Guitars are cool. I might learn to play guitar in the future, but I don’t know for sure. When I was little I had this small acoustic guitar that my mom got from toys r us. I drew all over it and broke all but three of the strings. I’m amazed we haven’t thrown it away yet